2018 National Book Week, 3 - 9 Sep
The 2018 National Book Week is brought to you by the Department of Arts and Culture and South African Book Development Council and it programme will run from 3 to 9 September and will be celebrated in all nine provinces.
The theme for this year’s event is #OURSTORIES, which is intended to highlight not only the fact that storytelling is deeply ingrained in African culture, but that South Africans can and should be the authors of their own stories.
The primary aims of the National Book Week is to:
- Promote and entrench a culture of reading in South Africa particularly in schools;
- Raise awareness of the critical role reading has to play in fostering socio-economic development;
- Celebrate books as a means of facilitating and supporting education, culture and heritage;
- Improve access to books and other forms of printed media;
- Showcase and increase indigenous language publishing;
- Showcase South African and African writers, publishers, booksellers and related businesses;
- Raise the profile of the South African book industry with an emphasis on SMMEs operating in the industry;
- Facilitate skills and enterprise development across the entire book industry value chain;
- Form partnerships with other African countries that celebrate National Book Week; and
- Create awareness of both National Book Week and the South African Book Fair through various media channels.
For more information visit https://sabookcouncil.co.za/national-book-week-2018/