Minister Mashatile tells the new Film and Video Foundation Board to “hit the ground running”.
The Minister of Arts and Culture, Mr. Paul Mashatile appointed a new board for the National Film and Video Foundation. At a ceremony to announce members of the new Board, Mr. Mashatile told them that they could not have joined Board at a better time. He said so because the Department of Arts and culture will hold a two-day Summit to discuss a new strategy to reposition the arts, culture and heritage sector. The draft strategy emphasises the sector’s contribution to job creation. Mashatile invited all members of the board to attend the Summit so that they can contribute to the final strategy. “I want you to work with me to create a new era for the sector and particularly film in your case. Convince me with your ideas and I will convince my Cabinet colleagues that our sector is one of the top job-drivers and therefore should receive more resources. There is a lot of talent out there. Our youth have stories to tell and we must help them do so without sending them from pillar to post”, he said.
The new members of the Board are:
- Ms. Mmabatho Ramagoshi (Chairperson): The Regional General Manager of SABC in Tshwane.
- Ms. Zama Mkosi: Director of Mkozi Media and Entertainment and former legal advisor to IDC’s Media and Motion Picture Unit.
- Mr. Sello Molefe: The coordinator and researcher at the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation and has studied Video and Film Production.
- Mr. George Leolo: Has served as CFO in Sifikile Investment Holdings, with a background in Finance
- Mr. Avhasei Mukoma: Managing Director of Mukoma Attorneys and is also a Council member of the Operations Committee of the Film and Publication Board.
- Mr. Paul Raleigh: Founder and managing Director of Moviworld. He is also a Director for Southern Africa Film Finances.
- Mr. Laurence Mitchell: Executive Director of Waterfront Studios and was CEO and Film Commissioner of the Cape Film Commission.
- Ms. Gcina Mhlophe-Becker: Has extensive experience in the arts including being an accomplished and world renowned actress, story teller and writer.
- Adv. Rai Roshan Dehal: A practicing advocate with expertise in Civil Litigation; Contractual Law; Property Law; Cross Border International Litigation; Arbitration and Contractual Dispute Resolution.
- Ms. Trish Downing: MD of The South African Ballet Theatre and a Trustee of the Arts & Culture Trust, and former Senior Manager in Marketing and Communications at Ster Kinekor Theatres.
- Dr. Patricia Sethe Makhesha: Senior Executive in Transformation at SAFCOL / KLF.
- The returning Council Members are Mr. Mohau Mphomela, Ms Sandra Gordon and Adv. Rod Solomons.
Ms Mmabatho Ramogoshi, the Chairperson of the Board responded and told her embers that the mandate was clear. She said the Board will hold its first meeting in the next as soon as possible and see how it should meet the Minister’s expectations. The Deputy Chairperson will be appointed by the board at its first meeting.
Enquiries : Mack Lewele 082 450 5076 / 012 441 3083